The S.E.C. has opened an investigation into Activision Blizzard.

Activision Blizzard, the video game maker behind Call of Duty and other major franchises, said on Monday that the Securities and Exchange Commission was investigating the company over “disclosures regarding employment matters and related issues.”

A press officer for Activision said the S.E.C. had issued subpoenas to the company and several current and former employees, but did not offer more details on the focus of the investigation. The company is cooperating with the inquiry, the official said in an emailed statement.

A representative for the S.E.C. declined to comment on the investigation, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Activision spent the summer grappling with accusations of sexual misconduct and workplace discrimination. In July, it was sued by a California employment agency, which accused it of fostering a “frat boy workplace culture” in which men joked about rape and women were harassed and underpaid compared with their male colleagues. Later that month, over 1,500 workers staged a walkout and signed a letter protesting Activision’s initially dismissive response to the accusations of misconduct.

Activision’s chief executive, Bobby Kotick, apologized for the company’s initial response to the lawsuit on the eve of the walkout. Since then, the head of Activision’s Blizzard Entertainment subsidiary, where many of the allegations in the lawsuit were centered, has stepped down. Activision announced last week that it was hiring two new executives, including a new head of human resources.

This month, the Communications Workers of America, a labor union, also filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board, accusing Activision of violating labor law by intimidating workers.

Newyork time

Leave a Comment